Sunday, June 24, 2001

Life is all about timing...
I have done the old "if only" sort of reasoning pretty much all my life.
Like this winter when I said "If only I had stopped for a pop this morning on the way home from work. I wouldn't have hit
that deer". Denting my car and taking the life of a gorgeous creature that was only trying to cross the road.
If only isn't really the best way to reason that sort of thing. Its really just timing. I wanted to go straight
home before I fell asleep. I didn't have the time to stop for a soda. I was running late. If I hadn't been late
leaving work I would have had the time. It would have worked out. It would still be alive. But who knows for sure.
Maybe just maybe I could have timed it better for the deer so it could live. But maybe just maybe I would have
been in a terrible accident. Possibly injuring myself or god forbid someone else. That's how one's timing
is so incomprehensible in the long run. So if only I could have changed the timing of things, would I have?
Should I have that huge of a responsibility? I'm certainly glad I don't.
Maybe the timing was right. Maybe the deer sacrificed its life to save me or someone else. Its birth was just at the right time. It lived as a deer timed by the seasons not a clock. Yet it probably knew all of its life that someday the time would be just right. That it could do something to help someone, maybe a small child. Maybe me.
Its time had come. I was drawing near. It gave up its life to slow me down a little. So that maybe my timing would also be slowed just enough to save someone else. To help me realize that some things that seem bad are really just pauses in life. Time to reflect. A re-adjustment of our overall timing of day to day life.
Like today, my timing was confused a little. But later I would know why. I was supposed to get groceries this morning.
But I felt like I needed a little rest. A nap. Old age creeping toward me like an overstuffed couch I guess.
Drawing me ever so slowly to it for a long quiet nap. It was a nice nap. Mixed with in and out TV dreams. But my timing was off. Or so I thought...
I finally arose around 3p.m. and showered and wished I had left earlier like I had planned. But not waiting for the
lines on my face from the couch to smooth out, I left. If only I had left earlier I thought. I would have been back by now.
But oh well I thought. No need to rush. The river is going to be crowded. Lots of people crossing the road on foot.
Wild canoe haulers rushing up and down the river road. Best be careful and take it easy I thought. I was right. It was crowded.
Cars and trucks and canoe haulers were lined up behind me for half a mile or so, but I wasn't going to be hurried along. I'm good at 55. Plenty fast enough for the straight roads. 35 is good enough thru the congested camping areas. Cars and trucks weaving in and out of my rear view mirror. They were all looking for a clear road to pass me. Like one long snake twisting and turning on the highway. But no need to hurry.
So finally I am almost passed all the congestion and nothing left ahead of me but War Eagle Resort and the water slide. I glance at the slide as I slow down even more. Nothing new there. I slow a little more and look left. There I see a man and a woman. They are obviously wet from canoeing. He is facing me. She has her back to me. I see him look at me and then back to her and nod and smile. With a little shake of her head her shoulder length hair tossed slowly to the side. (This is when I remembered the deer re-adjusting my timing.) My eyes couldn't have focused any better if I had been Steve Austin. When suddenly I see her bend over at the waist and pull something gently and slowly down her long tanned legs... it was her bright pink bikini bottoms.
Woo Hoo!!!! Thank you! Thank You! Thank You! Your timing was perfect!!! I Love You Deer!!!

No comments: